Uncountable nouns and plural nouns
Uncountable nouns (e.g. information):
– don’t have a plural form (information*); jç
– are used with a singular verb (the information ate); ç,0h\o
– cannot be used with the indefinite article ‘a/an’. (I want a«-information)
These uncountable nouns are often countable in other languages. Look at them carefully. He refused to give me more information about the hotel.
She gave me lots of advice about the best dictionary to buy.
We are going to sell all the furniture. (= tables, chairs, armchairs, desks, etc.)
My knowledge of German is very limited.
You need a lot of equipment for camping (e.g. tent, sleeping bag, things for cooking, etc.) She is making good progress in her English. (= her English is improving / getting better) We had fabulous weather in Italy.
The teacher gave us a lot of homework last night.
I never take much luggage (= bags and suitcases) when I go on holiday.
Countable nouns are usually shown with a (C) after them; uncountable nouns have (U) after them; and some nouns can be countable with one meaning and uncountable in another.
The books are on the table.
I did a lot of housework this morning.
My hair is getting very long and untidy. I need to get it cut. There is a hair on my dinner plate.
Plural nouns (e.g. trousers):
– only have a plural form and cannot be used with ‘a/an’ (a. trouser) trov&K
– usually have a plural verb (the trousers is-…) src
– some plural nouns can be made singular using a pair of, e.g. a pair of trousers/sunglasses Other words which are usually plural include:
I bought a pair of jeans yesterday.
These shorts are too long.
I bought a new pair of pyjamas when I went into hospital.
The scissors are on the table.
When it’s sunny I wear sunglasses for driving.
These stairs are dangerous.
You can weigh yourself on those scales over there.
The headphones on my new walkman are great.
Bir önceki yazımız olan İngilizce'de 'Opinions, agreeing and disagreeing' başlıklı makalemizde agreeing and disagreeing', agreeing and disagreeing' kullanımına örnekler ve agreeing and disagreeing' örnek cümleler hakkında bilgiler verilmektedir.